Extracting Firebase / BigQuery DAUs, WAUs and MAUs
I don’t want to over complicate this question, so I will try to ask it as clear as possible to avoid confusion.
The outcome I require is two-fold. I want to determine the DAUs, WAUs, and MAUs for a Mobile App within: a) Google Analytics, as well as in b) Firebase Analytics. I guess one can focus more attention on b) because their is a shift towards tighter integration between Architecture and Analytics for future app development.
a) Calculating DAUs, WAUs, and MAUs in Google Analytics:
Currently GA reports on 1,7,14,30 Day Active Users (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6171863?hl=en), which by my understanding is not the same as DAUs/WAUs/MAUs ?
- 1-Day Active Users: the number of unique users who initiated sessions on your site or app on January 30 (the last day of your date range).
- 7-Day Active Users: the number of unique users who initiated sessions on your site or app from January 24 through January 30 (the last 7 days of your date range).
- 14-Day Active Users: the number of unique users who initiated sessions on your site or app from January 17 through January 30 (the last 14 days of your date range).
- 30-Day Active Users: the number of unique users who initiated sessions on your site or app from January 1 through January 30 (the entire 30 days of your date range).
My approach would be to select for instance 1 - 30 September, and take the "30 Day Active Users” as equal to the MAU for that month. I want to know if this would be the correct approach ? If this is true, how would one then calculate DAUs and WAUs here ? Just take the Average of the last 30 data points for DAUS, and the average of the 4 data points for WAUS ? September had 30 Days, but what about February (28 Days) or October (31 Days) ?
One person used the following approach to compute WAUs over a 2-week period for example. He used Custom Dimensions for this. http://www.notingon.com/dau-mau-measurements-in-google-analytics/ Would this be a more sound way to approach DAUs, WAUs and MAUs than explained above ?
b) Calculating DAUs, WAUs, and MAUs in Firebase:
We see the same 1-day, 7-day, and 30-day active users in the Firebase console, that is in GA: https://support.google.com/firebase/answer/6317517#active-users. It seems that if one wants to calculate anything else, you would have to setup Google BigQuery through the Blaze program ? (https://firebase.google.com/pricing/).
I stumbled unto 2 examples that computes the 1/7/30 Day Actives, but I would still see this as different from DAUs, WAUs and MAUs: Firebase -> BigQuery how to get active users for that month, week, day Discrepancies on "active users metric" between Firebase Analytics dashboard and BigQuery export
My questions are:
- Is it correct for me to make this distinction ? If yes, how would a DAU, WAU, and MAU query look like compared to the 2 examples listed above ?
- In GA one can set User IDs on both a web and mobile app view and tie them together, but how would one approach this in Firebase Analytics ? Would it be possible to also set up this unique ID to be used as a custom dimension to build a custom query ? or is a unique device ID already being passed ?
- Would there be a data delay when pulling this data from BigQuery ?
Thanks in Advance ! D